What is hacktoberfest?
Hacktoberfest is a month-long celebration of open source software run by DigitalOcean in partnership with GitHub and Twilio. Hacktoberfest is open to everyone in our global community!
How to participate?
You just have to make 4 Pull requests to any of the open source projects on github before October 31st and you will be awarded with a free t-shirt and swags from DigitalOcean and github.
How to begin?
If you are completely new to open source then you might face some difficulties as I did in the beginning but no worries It's only a matter of days getting hands on it. Now here are some few steps you should remember before participating in hacktoberfest:
- Step 1: Make sure you have a github account.
- Step 2: Register yourself for hacktoberfest.
- Step 3: If you are completely new then this might be helpful for you. Just go along with the readme and you will end up making your first pull request on github. If you don't register yourself for hacktoberfest then your pull requests may not be counted.
- Step 4: Check the status of your pull request in the profile section of the hacktoberfest website.
- Step 5: If you are successful in making 4 PR before their t-shirts and october runs out (LOL) then you will get the mail from them regarding shipping details. I've also included the screenshot of the mail I got.
Now you have made your first PR, next you can search issues on github with the tag
hactoberfest or you can make contributions to your own projects. You are only 3 pull requests away from getting yourself a free t-shirt.